Can My Oriental Rugs Be Steam Cleaned?
While steam cleaning is the gold standard for in-home carpet cleaning, it is generally not recommended for Oriental rugs. Oriental Carpets should not be steam cleaned in the home they should taken to an in-plant rug cleaning service. Here are five reasons to think twice about steam cleaning oriental rugs in home
-Durably Delicate: Oriental rugs are often made from natural fibers such as wool, silk, and foundation of wool, silk, and cotton. While these materials are durable, overall, they are sensitive, strong detergents, particularly in combination with heat.
- Risk of Color Fading: Steam cleaning can cause the colors in an Oriental rug to fade, shift, or become muted. The high temperatures and moisture can strip away the vibrant hues that make these rugs so appealing leaving them dull.
- Potential for Mold and Mildew: All those natural fibers love to absorb moisture and liquids. Oriental rugs are often thick and dense and can trap and hold moisture easily. Your home floor isn't ideally suited for drying rugs and is often conducive to mold and mildew growth.
- Structural Damage: The steam and pressure used in steam cleaning can cause pile distortion with natural fibers and foundation. In some rugs, there's just enough water to cause uneven shrinkage. This can lead to the rug losing its shape and developing wrinkles or buckling.
- It's Ineffective Cleaning Deep-Set Stains & Odors: Oriental rugs can accumulate deep-set stains over time. Steam cleaning does not effectively remove these stains, as it primarily addresses surface dirt and grime. Soils filter deep into the base of woven rugs beyond the reach of a vacuum and steam cleaning. Attempting to remove stubborn stains with steam can worsen the problem.
In -Plant Rug Washing
In-Plant Rug Washing:is a specialized and meticulous cleaning method for rugs; and the way rugs are intended to be cleaned. All new oriental rugs are given a wash; it's part of the rug finishing process new oriental rugs go through. Even if your rug is new, it's likely been washed before.
-Rug washing Process: Rug washing involves a thorough and careful cleaning process that includes dry soil removal, full water wash or submersion wash, soaking, gentle brushing, and rinsing. In a controlled environment to ensure deep cleaning and drying.
-Customized Treatment: Professional rug washing services assess the specific needs of each rug and customize the cleaning process accordingly. This may include using specialized detergents and techniques to protect the rug's fibers and colors.
-Suitable for All Types of Rugs: Rug washing is suitable for all types of rugs, including delicate and valuable rugs like Oriental rugs and those made from natural fibers. It is a gentle method that preserves the integrity of the rug.
-Deep Cleaning: Rug washing offers a deeper and more thorough cleaning compared to steam cleaning. It can remove embedded dirt, allergens, and odors that other methods may not effectively address.
-Professional Expertise: Rug washing should be performed by trained professionals who understand the unique characteristics of each rug type and can apply appropriate cleaning methods. as well as facilities and equipment to clean rugs
It provides a more thorough and customized cleaning process that preserves the rug's beauty and longevity while effectively addressing specific cleaning challenges. Ultimately, consulting with professionals who specialize in rug cleaning can help you determine the best method for your specific carpets and rugs.
Rug Cleaners Near Me?
Finding a reliable rug cleaner near you involves a few simple steps. Here's our top tips to help you find a reputable cleaning service that knows area rugs in your area:
Rug Cleaner Recommendations
- Start by asking friends, family, neighbors, or coworkers if they have any recommendations for cleaning services they've used for throw rugs and were satisfied with. Personal referrals can be a valuable resource.
Online Cleaner Search
- Use search engines like Google, Bing, or Yahoo to search for "rug cleaners near me" or "rug cleaning services in [your city or area]." This will provide you with a list of nearby options. Be careful; things are not always as they seem in those photos, the cleaner's workshop lifted images for the web or stock images.
Online Cleaner Reviews
- Websites and platforms like Google, and Better Business Bureau (BBB) can provide reviews and ratings of local rug cleaning companies. Read reviews from previous customers to gauge their satisfaction can be helpful, but are they real?
Social Media and Online Communities
- Consider checking social media platforms like Facebook groups or local community forums. People often share their experiences and recommendations for local services on these platforms. You also get a better insight into the company.
Request Quotes and Information
- Contact the rug cleaning company. Ask for quotes and inquire about their cleaning methods, expertise in handling specific types of rugs, and any additional services they offer, such as stain removal or repairs.
Visit Their Location:
- Visit the physical location and ask for a tour of the rug cleaning company to get a sense of their professionalism and meet the staff.
- Feel free to ask questions about their cleaning process, the types of detergents and equipment they use, and their experience with different types of rugs. A reputable cleaner should be willing to provide answers and explanations.
- Are they a member of trade associations such as ARCS (Association of Rug Care Specialists)
Get a Written Estimate:
- Request a written estimate for cleaning; there should be no hidden charges.
By following these steps, you can find a rug cleaner near you who is reputable, experienced, and capable of restoring your rugs to their original beauty while ensuring their longevity.